Yes. I’m taking steps to eat better, drink less, focus on weights at the gym and manage my finances more effectively this year. But what about this sad little blog and my theatre-going habits in the new year? What about it, indeed.
May I present my ten theatre-related goals for this year:
1) See more new, original works.
2) Have greater confidence in my opinions.
3) Take along more friends who typically don’t attend shows to help promote their interest in live theatre.
4) Be more present during a performance, spending less time thinking about work and my to-do list and focusing on the moment at hand.
5) Write shorter, more online-friendly reviews.
6) See the Patti LuPone/Mandy Patinkin show and not scratch my eyes out after watching two-plus hours of sycophantic, Juliard-trained emoting.
7) See more shows at the Goodman, Lookingglass, Rivendell and Shakespeare theatres — among others.
8) Do a better job promoting up-and-coming groups, such as The New Colony — who recently got awarded a huge check from Chase Bank!
9) Interview a Chicago theatre diva, such as Hollis Resnik, E. Faye Butler, Barbara Robertson, Mary Ernster, Paula Scrofano, etc. We have some of the best stage actresses in the country — they are entitled to (gushing) recognition!
10) Only give standing ovations to shows that really, REALLY deserve it.
What are your theatre resolutions?